San Diego Fertility Acupuncture
Are you having difficulty conceiving?
There are a number of ways Chinese medicine and acupuncture can provide natural fertility support to help improve ovarian function, hormonal imbalance, insulin resistance, immunity, stress levels, and more.
Why choose Husami Integrative Acupuncture?
Fertility and reproductive health is a complex field that Suzanne Husami, LAc believes demands specialization. To that end, she became a fellow of the prestigious American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (ABORM.) Fellows have demonstrated advanced knowledge in the field of both Western and Oriental Reproductive Medicine by specializing and then passing a rigorous advanced certification examination.
Suzanne pulls from her background in western medicine and research when considering each patient and works closely with physicians in the area. She strongly believes in practicing evidence- based medicine; each treatment she provides is always couched in her individual clinical expertise combined with the best available external clinical evidence from systematic research. (Reference) Suzanne welcomes you to call or text us at any time to learn what Husami Integrative Acupuncture can do for you. Read on to learn how acupuncture can optimize your fertility.
Integrative fertility acupuncture and Chinese medicine has been shown to:
- Regulate Reproductive Hormones: Hormones play an integral role in a variety of functions in your body, including metabolism, sleep-wake cycles, and reproduction. Hormone imbalances account for a significant portion (around 30%) of women requiring in vitro fertilization (IVF). In research, acupuncture was shown to:
- Regulate the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Ovarian axis which is crucial to regulating the menstrual cycle (Reference)
- Reduce elevated Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) which, when elevated, indicates the ovaries are not working correctly (or can signal the onset of menopause) (Reference)
- Reduce hormones that interfere with ovulation like Testosterone and Inhibin B (Reference)
By regulating reproductive hormones acupuncture can regulate your menstrual cycle, ensure your uterine lining is nourished and prepped for implantation and regulate ovulation if it is irregular or absent.
- Decrease Insulin Resistance: Insulin resistance refers to an altered metabolic process that can have damaging affects on both the menstrual cycle and on ovulation. When your body is insulin resistant it cannot metabolize blood sugar appropriately. This can lead to high blood sugar and an increase in hormones like testosterone that can cause irregular periods and may halt ovulation completely. In 2013, Dr. Stener-Victorin and colleagues in Sweden found that acupuncture decreased insulin resistance, thereby decreasing androgens, regulating hormone balance, and increasing ovulation.
- Promote Ovulation: Acupuncture and Chinese medicine can regulate and promote ovulation via regulating reproductive hormones and by decreasing insulin resistance. Ovulation is key, of course, to allowing the meeting of the egg with the sperm. There has been significant research on this topic in China and Japan, and limited research in the United States exists on this topic, however it has been found that Chinese herbs may:
From the research of Hullender-Rubin, it was found that the combination of acupuncture and Chinese herbs with diet and lifestyle recommendations tailored specifically to an individual yielded the best results.
- Promote Uterine and Ovarian Blood Flow: Acupuncture appears to accomplish this by inhibiting uterine sympathetic nerve activity, which promotes endometrial receptivity to the egg. Successful implantation of a human embryo into the uterine tissue is affected by several things: endometrial thickness, morphology (the way its structured) and uterine artery blood flow. Stener-Victorin found in an important trial that acupuncture can reduce the impedance of the uterine artery by inhibiting the central sympathetic nerve and therefore improving blood flow to the uterus. By improving blood flow to the uterus and ovaries we improve the ability: to conceive, for the egg to implant, for a pregnancy to be carried to term, and to have a live birth delivery.
Contact Us About Fertility Acupuncture in San Diego
If you’re looking for a fertility clinic in San Diego, please contact Husami Integrative Acupuncture to find out more about our fertility acupuncture treatments. Many of our patients are referred to us by physicians who understand the value of acupuncture treatments used in conjunction with other fertility treatments.
Compared to many fertility treatments, acupuncture is an affordable, low-risk option. Our San Diego acupuncture clinic also accepts insurance. If you’re not sure if your insurance covers acupuncture, we can verify your insurance for you. We also offer affordable cash rates.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, feel free to give us a call or send us a text at Husami Integrative Acupuncture: (619) 302-7589.